Friday 7 October 2016

Thought of the Day on Premier Radio about Praying the Rosary

Today is the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary. 

For many Premier listeners the Rosary will be a hidden treasure if it is a treasure at all! 

Why do I, as a Bible-believing Christian, pray the Rosary?

I do so because Christians I respect, who love the Lord, have taught me to pray it. It’s actually such a popular Christian prayer that it must go on all the time. 

The prayer is centred on the joys and sorrows in the life of Jesus recorded in scripture. Groups of meditations upon these are constructed out of the basic unit or Decade of: one Our Father, ten Hail Mary’s and one Glory be to the Father. 

As it says in Hebrews about our being surrounded by a cloud of witnesses, I believe Mary and the Saints are alive and surround us in prayer all the time. I don’t have a problem with asking their prayer to God though I realise others do.

The way I pray the Rosary is as I go about my life. If I see someone joyful I think of the joy of Jesus and say a decade for them. If I hear of someone in trouble I will think of the crucifixion, and, looking to Jesus with Mary say the Rosary for them. 

The great thing about this traditional prayer is that you can pray for a length of time on behalf of others to God without needing to find your own words.

Lord we thank you for all our aids to prayer and especially for the Rosary. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment